Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Invitation

Famous stories about Aunt Sara's Partyline began to pass by my ears in the early part of my farm broadcasting career. Cliff Mitchell, Farm Director at KASM Radio in Albany, Minnesota is the host of the Partyline, a live radio program that I think is the definition of local radio. Cliff hosts the show, visiting with guests, reading all his own commercials live and passing along different bits of information. Cliff has been a broadcaster for 52 years at KASM, so there's no doubt everyone in the Albany community must know him well.

I've been invited to be on the Partyline over a half dozen times now. Each trip to Cliff's room is more special, so I have to admit I relish the idea of being invited to be on the Partyline. When I served as a national officer for NAFB from 2001 - 2003, it was pretty much a gimme that you'd get to be on the show. To be invited back after you are a Past President of NAFB is a special treat in my book.


Here's how "the invitation" comes about...usually, you're standing with a group of friends visiting. Cliff will either be a part of the conversation or will slip in and pass along a bit or two. At some point, a business card will come out of his pocket, on which, Cliff writes his room number, a time (either 6:00 or 6:30am), along with the word Thursday or Friday on the back. This is followed by "will that work for you?" to which you answer in the affirmative or explain any conflicts. I've always compared it to being "tapped" for a meeting of the secret society since it happens in this fashion. You see, Cliff is sharp enough to know that if he comes up and says "Do you want to come and be on Aunt Sara's Partyline Friday morning at 6:00" and if I say no, there may be someone standing there who'll volunteer to go in my place instead. By slipping the card, Cliff maintains control of his show.

I'll bet there's not a consultant out there that would be smart enough to think of something so simple...that's a gimme with Cliff, and a testimony of how sharp a guy is to be able to stick in radio for 52 years!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home