Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Company on the Couch

Being just an hour away from the Westin Crown Center, I headed to Kansas City early this morning, checked into the room and decided to see who had arrived already. After a swing through the convention news center and registration, I figured the best spot to camp out for a bit was on the couch in the hall between those two areas. It's a great place for people watching (one of my favorite things) and to catch up with folks you might not see otherwise.

I hadn't been there 2 minutes when my cowboy poet friend Baxter Black stopped by, sat down and started to visit. It wasn't but a few minutes later until someone else stopped by, then another. As if things couldn't get any better, along came another friend, Rick Haines from the Northern Ag Network.


I enjoyed the conversation and appreciate NAFB's Susan Tally sending the shot my way!


Every time I see Baxter Black, there are a dozen of his poems that come to mind. My favorite is one he did several years ago on the radio that I keep around today to listen to is Just Words. At the time, it was just one of those pieces that hit me right. I've used it several times since and hope you'll take something away from it, too.

To hear Just Words from Baxter's Book, Cactus Tracks & Cowboy Philosophy, click the mp3 link above.

Copyright Baxter Black, Crown Publishers, 1997

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home