Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Just Who Is Tom Brand?

In the late part of 2002, I wanted to start a written journal. I'd been given the suggestion by a friend who told me I'd appreciate being able to go back and read some of the entries I had written during my year serving as President of the National Association of Farm Broadcasters in 2003. I sincerely wanted to try this, so I began writing...

My thought process was this: if generations after me were to pick up this small "book" and read my ramblings, surely they'd be curious as to who I was. So I included a selection that explained who Tom Brand is. It went something like this:

I'm Thomas Raymond Brand, born January 26, 1971 to Lois and Richard Brand of Hopkins, Missouri. I grew up on a farm 2 1/2 miles south of Hopkins; lived there until I went to college at the Univesity of
Missouri-Columbia in the fall of 1989. I returned home to work on the farm every summer until 1992, when full time employment at KMFC Radio in Centralia, Missouri kept me in Columbia. In late summer of 1992, I married Beth Renee' Oltman, the love of my life since my senior year in high school. We spent the first part of our married life living in Columbia in the basement apartment of a house at 121 Clinton Avenue.

The opportunity to work full time as a farm broadcaster came in September 1993 when I accepted the opportunity to work for Learfield Communications and the Brownfield Network--the largest agriculture network in the nation.. Beth and I lived in a nice little 2 bedroom apartment on Ventura Boulevard, a few blocks away from work for my 12 months at the network. It was during our time in Jefferson City that our daughter Morgan was born.

After several weeks of driving back and forth from Jefferson City to home, we were ready for a change. That opportunity came in 1994 when KMA Radio's farm director announced he was leaving and that their general manager would like to speak to me about their opening in the farm department. Long story short, we jumped at the chance to go to the station I was raised listening to and moved to Shenandoah, Iowa. Our first home purchased was at 104 West Clarinda in Shenandoah. After two years of broadcasting with May Broadcasting, I followed the "radio rule" (better market, better salary, better position) and had my ears on the job market. During our time in Shenandoah, Sylvia was born. Alex came along when we were in Iowa, too; but that was during the "transition" from KMA to KFEQ Radio.

You see, what happened was that I took the job at KFEQ in St. Joseph, Missouri, but our house in Shenandoah couldn't sell. Finally, after a year on the market, the old classic sold. I quit the 180 mile round-trip commute with a whole lot of relief (for myself as well as Beth).

Our move to St. Joseph takes me to where we live today, 3204 Dale Avenue. This has been our home for over 5 years now--the longest Beth and I have lived in one place since we were married. Zoe joined us in 2001. Does all this answer the "who am I?" question? I think it helps, but doesn't give a total answer.

To best explain who I am, it's probably best to look at several different things. I am: first and foremost, a Christian; the husband of Beth; the father of Morgan, Sylvia, Alex and Zoe; the son of Richard and Lois; the grandson of Earl & Cuma Alexander and Wayne & Sylvia Brand. I am farm director at KFEQ Radio & President of the National Association of Farm Broadcasters. I enjoy my time with family, speaking with and to people, traveling and a home cooked meal. I'm the editor of "The American Countryside" radio program. My favorite movie of all is Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life" with Donna Reed and Jimmy Stewart. I dislike yard work on hot days, inter-office politics and multiple rainy days in a row. Pet peeves include people who don't take the time to listen and would rather hear themselves talk instead. Sunrises and sunsets always have time in my schedule. My favorite food is a toss-up between a good steak and pizza (steak: KC Strip; Pizza: Pagliai's shrimp & sauerkraut).

At 6'2" and 265 pounds with a size 13 shoe, there's plenty of me to go around. I hope this helps future readers understand a little more about me.

I hadn't taken the time to read that since I wrote it nearly 3 years ago. I found it interesting and thought maybe you would too.

With that, let the blogging begin...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home